Let Birds Fly started out as a blog highlighting our freedom in creativity. But since then, I have gone through a lot concerning my health, and I have narrowed down my life to things I am completely passionate about. Both prioritizing and simplifying are necessary for me to be able to live my life, and so my blog has simplified.
For example, I never really liked crafting that much, but I took part in it for my blog. You won’t see many crafts on here anymore. I’m also quite cheap, I don’t like clutter, I don’t like to shop, I don’t like stuff, and I hate consumerism, but I took part in it for my blog. You won’t see many wishlists or collections of products on here anymore.
Let Birds Fly should inspire you to be you. Even if you are constantly changing. Because how boring would it be if we never changed?
NOW, LET’S GET PERSONAL //
MY FAMILY // I am a wife. My husband, Mark, is a professional musician and wedding DJ. He’s pretty awesome. I have two Great Danes named Quinn and Mozart. These 3 boys are my life! I also have quite a large extended family. Mark is one of 7 children, many of them married now, and I am one of 4, many of us married. We also have quite a slew of nieces and nephews.
MY JOBS // I am not doing much right now because of my health issues, but these are the jobs I did before I got sick, and what I hope to be able to do again after I’m well again. // I am a professional photographer here in Austin, TX. In high school, I wanted to be a National Geographic photographer. I realized that wasn’t very attainable, so I went to college for recreational therapy. But photography is my first love. // I’m a graphic designer. I love creating something from scratch. I’m so blessed that I get to be creative and get paid for it. // I work as a ropes course facilitator at a camp for kids with special needs over the summers. // Lastly, I work one-on-one with people with disabilities, administering recreational therapy with them (what I went to college for).
MY HEALTH // I have many health issues. I suffer from chronic pain, chronic fatigue, and neurological disorders, which I have recently found out is all from having Chronic Lyme Disease. I also suffer from celiac disease, hypothyroidism, meniere’s disease, and adrenal fatigue (which could all stem from Lyme as well). My story is about pain, but is also about hope.
MY FOOD // I love to cook and I LOVE to eat. But because of my health issues, I have to eat crazy healthy. Presently, I can’t eat any grains (which includes gluten, corn, and oats), dairy, processed sugar, GMO soy, or meat. I eat a 70% raw vegan diet (raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds), and the other 30% is still super healthy, consisting of mainly cooked veggies, lentils, and beans.
MY INTERESTS // I LOVE to travel. If I could somehow travel for a living, I would do it in an instant. I like to travel cheap, and I like to travel as much as possible. Check out my travel page to see where I’ve been. // I also love the outdoors. My husband and I try to take at least one backcountry camping trip per year, and we love to hike, bike, climb, and swim in our town of Austin.
MY QUIRKS // I am crazy compassionate. I wish I could adopt every baby, dog, cat, and bird out there that needs a home. I cry when I see a dog walking along the side of the road with no owner. I even hate squishing bugs. It’s ridiculous, I know. // I am the best devil’s advocate. I will argue against anything just because I love a good debate, and I am quite good at it. // I love fantasy books. My favorites are Harry Potter, Peter Pan, and Ender’s Game, among a hundred others. I am a book snob when it comes to these books, as well; I consider it blasphemy to see any movie of a book that I like. // I hate receiving gifts from my husband. We share everything, including money, so how is it a gift if we BOTH bought it? I’d rather just go on a picnic.
MY EVERYTHING // I am a Christian. Hopefully that comes across in a good amount of my blog posts.
Have any questions about me and/or Let Birds Fly? E-mail me!
POPULAR POSTS //
Our Love Story // It’s a long story. You have officially been warned.
Pain-Relieving Detox Bath // One of the only things that soothes my aches and pains.
Photo Editing Fads // A funny list of post-processing fads of the past and present, with examples.
How to Drink More Water // A health post on the importance of water and a list of fun ways to drink more.
I Live Healthy for a Reason // A personal post on dealing with having to defend my healthy lifestyle.
Big Bend National Park // Our first backpacking trip as a married couple. We LOVED it!
Meet Mozart // The day we got our great dane puppy, Mozart. (He was seriously the cutest puppy ever!)
Moroccan Tagine Soup // One of my favorite recipes ever. Super tasty and super healthy!
Hot Air Balloon Ride // One of the best things we’ve ever done together!