i've also decided to come around on the fall decorating finally. i live in houston, so it's kinda hard to build motivation to decorate for fall when it is still 100 degrees in september. this past week has been awesome, though! upper eighties! woohoo! fyi - that was not sarcasm. this is fall weather for houstonians. :) anyway, i put etching and halloween together, and this is what i came up with! enjoy.
supplies you will need (in order of use):
cutting board or cutting matt
jar(s) of any size
1. draw shape on back of vinyl (or if you have a cricut or equivalent, use a design of theirs).
2. cut out shape with exacto knife, on cutting board (unless you have a cricut, of course).
3. position vinyl adhesive on jar and press down firmly, making sure all the air bubbles are out, taking particular notice of edges.
4. with gloves on (the etching cream can be harmful to skin; it is an acid), use paintbrush to dab the etching cream on liberally. make sure all glass surface of the shape is covered.
5. wait 5-7 minutes for the etching cream to take effect (it will remove the topmost layer of glass). after 5-7 min, scrape off etching cream and put back in bottle (it is re-usable). wash off remaining cream with warm water.
6. peel off vinyl and you have your jack-o-lantern!
use jars in multiple ways:
- store things in them
- put homemade goodies in them to give away as gifts (or keep yourself...hehe)
- use as a vase
- use as a candle holder
- use as festive drinking glasses
here's how i'm using mine: